A bicycle accident can have a devastating impact on a person’s life. The resulting physical injuries can be severe, and the emotional trauma and financial burden can be overwhelming. If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a bicycle accident someone else caused, knowing your rights and options for compensation is essential in getting the money you deserve.
The Saginaw bicycle accident attorneys at Jay Trucks & Associates understand the challenges people face after a bicycle accident, and we are here to help. Our experienced legal team will listen to your story and fight to hold the at-fault party accountable for your losses. Call us today or contact us online to learn more about how we can help you.
From day one, my attorney and the office staff at Jay Trucks & Associates went above and beyond what I expected…
– D. Lathrop
Why Choose Jay Trucks & Associates?
When you file a compensation claim for bicycle accident injuries, choosing the right lawyer to represent you can be your most consequential decision. You need experienced, skilled legal counsel that is knowledgeable about the law. Furthermore, you should work with a compassionate attorney who understands your struggles.
The seasoned Saginaw bicycle accident attorneys of Jay Trucks & Associates have what it takes to fight for what you deserve. We focus exclusively on personal injury law, and as our multiple five-star reviews can attest, we have successfully served injured individuals for several decades. Our founder, Jay Trucks, is a keen cycling enthusiast himself, so he understands the unique challenges injured bicyclists face. You can trust Jay Trucks & Associates to help you through your bicycle injury claim.
Free Consultation. Ph: (800) 762-8623.
Compensation for Bicycle Accidents in Michigan
Every case is unique, and your compensation will depend on your particular circumstances.
However, if you suffered injuries in a bicycle accident caused by another party’s negligence, you may claim compensation, including money for:
- Medical expenses
- Lost income
- Property Damage
- Reduced earning capacity
- Disability or disfigurement
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
To pursue compensation, work with an experienced bicycle accident injury attorney at Jay Trucks & Associates who knows the ins and outs of the legal system and will fight for your rights is essential.
Saginaw, Michigan, Bicycle Accident Statistics
According to the Michigan State Police, Michigan experienced 1,235 bicycle accidents in one recent year, resulting in 933 injuries and 38 fatalities. The Saginaw area had 22 bicycle accidents in one recent year, one of which resulted in a fatality. While this may not seem like a large number, every one of those bicycle accidents significantly affected the victims’ lives.
Dangerous Intersections for Bicyclists in Saginaw
Some of the most dangerous intersections for bicyclists in Saginaw include the intersections of State Street and Bay Road, Bay Road and Tittabawassee Road, and Bay Road and Shattuck Road. If you frequently ride your bike in Saginaw, take extra precautions when riding through these dangerous intersections.
Bicycle Laws in Michigan
Michigan has a few specific laws that apply to bicyclists.
For example, bicyclists must:
- Ride in the right-hand lane, as close to the right edge of the road as possible
- Use hand signals when turning or stopping
- Have a front white light and a rear red reflector when riding at night
State laws also provide several protections for cyclists:
- Three-foot passing law: Michigan law requires motorists to give at least three feet of space when passing a bicyclist. If giving three feet of space is unsafe, the driver must pass at a safe distance and speed.
- Right to use the road: Bicyclists have the same right to use the road as motorists. As such, motorists must treat bicyclists with the same respect and consideration as other cars on the road.
- Bike lanes: Michigan law requires that motorists yield to bicyclists in bike lanes and allows bicyclists to ride in bike lanes unless signs indicate otherwise.
Additionally, a bipartisan and bicameral group of Michigan lawmakers recently introduced legislation to protect vulnerable roadway users, including bicyclists. If Michigan passes this legislation, a motorist who injures or kills a vulnerable roadway user can face increased penalties, including jail time, fines, and license suspension.
Due to bicyclists’ vulnerability on the road, they should take precautions such as wearing reflective clothing, using lights and signals, and obeying traffic laws to ensure their own safety.
Statute of Limitations for Michigan Bicycle Accident Claims
In Michigan, the statute of limitations for personal injury claims allows you to file a lawsuit within three years of the date of the accident but no later. While three years may seem like a long time, do not delay seeking help to recover compensation.
The claims process may take longer than you expect. If you wait too long to file a lawsuit, you may lose your right to seek compensation through the court system. An experienced Saginaw bicycle accident attorney can ensure that you take all the necessary steps before you run out of time.
Common Types of Bicycle Accidents
Some of the most common types of bicycle accidents in Michigan include the following:
Car/bicycle collisions – This is the most bicycle accident, and it occurs when a motorist collides with a bicyclist. These crashes can leave vulnerable bicyclists with catastrophic injuries.
- Road hazards – Potholes, debris, and other road hazards can cause bicyclists to lose control and crash. In such cases, you might file a claim against the individual, business, or government entity responsible for maintaining the roadway.
- Doorings: A dooring happens when a parked car opens its door into the path of an oncoming bicyclist, causing the unsuspecting cyclist to collide with the door.
- Pedestrian/bicycle collisions: A pedestrian can cause a crash if they step into the path of a bicyclist.
- Bicycle/bicycle collisions: A collision between two bicyclists can cause devastating injuries.
Types of Injuries From Bicycle Accidents
Bicycle accidents can result in a wide range of bodily harm, from minor cuts and bruises to severe, life-threatening injuries
Some of the most common injuries from bicycle accidents include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI) – A TBI can result from a blow to the head and can cause long-term cognitive, physical, and emotional disabilities.
- Spinal cord injuries – These injuries can result in paralysis or other long-term disabilities. Paraplegic or quadriplegic individuals require lifelong care and specialized assistive devices to navigate daily life.
- Broken bones – Broken bones are a common injury in bicycle accidents. They can take a long time to heal, often requiring the injured individual to miss a significant amount of work.
- Road rash – When a bicyclist skids across the pavement during an accident, the resulting friction can cause road rash, which can be painful and require extensive medical treatment.
- Soft tissue injuries – Soft tissue injuries, such as sprains and strains, can easily occur when a cyclist attempts to break their fall after a collision.
Seeking immediate medical attention following a bicycle accident is crucial, even if you do not believe you have suffered severe harm. Some injuries, such as traumatic brain injuries, may not show symptoms for several hours or days. Nevertheless, some injuries can have long-term effects without swift treatment.
Dealing With an Insurance Company in a Bicycle Accident Claim
After a bicycle accident, you may find yourself dealing with an insurance company that is more concerned with protecting its bottom line than helping you get the compensation you deserve. Insurers are notorious for making the process difficult for injured individuals, often denying claims or offering lowball settlements.
Working with a bicycle accident injury attorney at Jay Trucks & Associates can level the playing field. Our experienced attorneys understand how insurance companies operate and can help you through the claims process. They can also negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf and fight for a fair settlement that considers the totality of your losses.
What to Do After a Bicycle Accident in Saginaw
Following a bicycle accident, to protect your rights and strengthen your case:
- Seek medical attention – Seeking medical attention immediately following an accident is vital, even if you do not feel like you have any injuries. If you walked away from a crash scene without visiting a medical professional, seek treatment as soon as possible. If you wait too long to see a doctor, the insurance adjuster may claim that you have not taken your injuries seriously enough to warrant compensation.
- Report the accident – Report the accident to the police and your insurance company as soon as possible. This step should create early documentation of the accident and your injuries.
- Collect evidence – Take photos of the accident scene, your injuries, and any damage to your bicycle. Gather contact information from any witnesses.
- Keep a record – Record all medical treatment, expenses, and missed work days related to the accident. Keeping regular notes of how your injuries affect you emotionally and mentally can enhance the value of your claim.
- Avoid talking to the insurance company – The insurance company may try to contact you for a statement. While they may frame this conversation as a “courtesy call,” it might be a tactic to get you to say something that can undermine your case. Avoid speaking to the insurance adjuster until you have consulted with an attorney.
- Contact a bicycle accident injury attorney at Jay Trucks & Associates – Working with our experienced Michigan bicycle accident attorneys can protect your rights and your claim.
How Can a Saginaw Attorney Help in a Bicycle Accident Injury Claim?
A Saginaw attorney who knows how to handle bicycle accident injury claims can provide valuable assistance throughout the process of seeking compensation for your injuries. Here are some of the ways our Saginaw bike accident attorneys can help you:
Investigating Your Accident
A bicycle accident injury attorney can thoroughly investigate the accident to determine the cause, identify responsible parties, and gather evidence to support your claim. This process may include obtaining police reports, interviewing witnesses, and analyzing any available accident video footage.
Calculating Your Losses
Your attorney can determine your true losses, including medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. They can also work with medical experts and other professionals to estimate the cost of your future medical needs and the impact of your injuries on your ability to work and enjoy life.
Negotiating With Insurance Companies
Insurance companies are notorious for trying to pay as little as possible on claims. A skilled personal injury attorney understands how insurance adjusters operate. They can negotiate with the insurance company on your behalf to obtain a fair settlement that compensates you fairly for your losses.
Preparing and Filing Legal Documents
Pursuing a bicycle accident injury claim entails preparing and filing many legal documents. Your attorney can handle these tasks for you, ensuring you meet all deadlines and your case is as strong as possible.
Representing You in Court
If negotiations do not end in a fair settlement, your attorney can represent you in court. They can argue your case before a judge and jury, presenting evidence and making arguments in support of your claim.
Our Saginaw bicycle accident injury attorneys can also provide valuable support and guidance throughout the claims process. We can answer your questions, explain your rights, and help you make informed decisions about how to proceed.
Contact Jay Trucks & Associates Today
Bicycle accidents can have a devastating impact on your life. If you suffered injuries in a bicycle accident in Saginaw, you need a lawyer who understands your rights and options for compensation. The experienced bicycle accident injury attorneys at Jay Trucks & Associates can help you fight to hold the at-fault party accountable for their negligence. Reach out to a Saginaw personal injury lawyer.
Our firm does not require any upfront fees for our services. We only take payment after we have successfully won a settlement or a verdict on your behalf. Call us today at (989) 386-3456 or contact us online to learn more about how we can help you. With us on your side, you fight for the justice you deserve.