Mesothelioma is a debilitating and fatal disease that develops when tiny particles of asbestos are ingested and become trapped in the lungs. Victims may be eligible for compensation to cover medical expenses, loss of income, and pain and suffering. If you lost a loved one due to mesothelioma, you may be compensated for funeral and burial costs, loss of future income and loss of companionship.
Jay Trucks & Associates really care about their clients. My attorney was very helpful and understanding. I would definitely recommend them to family, friends, and colleagues.
- W. Harris
Have a Traverse City mesothelioma lawyer from Jay Trucks and Associates review your claim in a free consultation to see if you may qualify for compensation. Our attorneys have a wealth of experience helping the people of Michigan get the financial assistance they need after an injury caused by another’s negligence. We have over 250-plus five-star reviews from satisfied clients.
Call our legal team today to schedule your free initial consultation with one of our Traverse City mesothelioma lawyers. There are no hidden costs or upfront fees and there is no obligation to have us represent your claim.
Fill out a free consultation form.
How Do I Know if my Case Qualifies for Compensation?
Although mesothelioma may take several decades to develop inside the body, you or your lawyer must prove how and where you may have been exposed to asbestos to validate your claim.
Some of the information you may need to prove your case, include:
- Medical documentation describing your diagnosis, including the date you were diagnosed
- Documentation proving your work history including dates, addresses and phone numbers
- Other mesothelioma claims against any of your previous employers
- Any information about co-workers who may have filed a mesothelioma claim
- Evidence that you may have come into contact with any individuals, products or materials known to contain asbestos
If you are unclear about whether your claim qualifies for compensation, contact a Traverse City mesothelioma attorney from Jay Trucks and Associates. Your initial consultation is at no cost to you and we only receive payment when we successfully recover compensation for damages.
Who Can Be Held Liable for a Mesothelioma Diagnosis?
Finding out how you may have been exposed to asbestos could be the most challenging part of the claims process. The Traverse City mesothelioma lawyers at Jay Trucks & Associates know how to research past employers who may have used asbestos-containing products or had a history of mesothelioma claims filed against them.
Besides former employers, there could be other parties who may be held liable for damages caused by your mesothelioma diagnosis, such as:
- Product manufacturers – For decades manufacturers were using asbestos to create products for consumers and workers.
- Property owners – Older buildings are more at risk of containing asbestos. If a commercial or residential property owner does not test for and remove asbestos, he or she could be held liable for mesothelioma damages to customers, tenants and building workers.
- Mining companies – Since asbestos fibers can be released into the air, mining companies could be held liable for mesothelioma damages to workers and nearby residents.
- Government agencies – The government could be held liable for mesothelioma damages if it is discovered that people were exposed to asbestos in a government-owned building or while working for the armed forces.
Unsure if you need a Traverse City mesothelioma attorney? Contact Jay Trucks and Associates today to schedule your no-cost consultation.
Call (800) 762-8623 to learn more about who could be held liable for your damages.
How Much Compensation Am I Eligible For?
The amount of compensation you receive depends on several important factors your lawyer will go over with you. If your claim has merit, you may be able to recover economic and non-economic damages related to your mesothelioma diagnosis.
These damages include out-of-pocket expenses, such as:
- Doctor visits
- Medical tests (MRI’s, CT Scans, etc.)
- Hospital stays
- Radiation therapy
- Assistive medical devices
- Palliative care
- Loss of wages
- Inability to earn wages
These types of damages are physical and psychological suffering:
- Physical pain
- Mental anguish
- Emotional trauma
- Loss of companionship
- Loss of enjoyment of life
Surviving family members may be able to receive compensation if they lost a loved one due to mesothelioma. Funeral and burial costs, loss of future income and loss of companionship are some types of compensation that surviving family members may be able to recover.
When Do I Have to File my Claim By?
Mesothelioma victims or their surviving family members have only three years from the date of diagnosis to file a personal injury claim in the state of Michigan. If you wait until after the three years have passed, you might lose your right to recover compensation for the diagnosis.
Since not every case is the same, there could be certain details that could require you to submit your claim earlier than three years. It is important to discuss the details of your claim with a knowledgeable Traverse City mesothelioma attorney to find out when your claim is due.
Because mesothelioma can take decades to form inside the body, these cases may take some time to investigate, so the sooner you schedule your free consultation, the more time we may have to help strengthen your claim.
Jay Trucks & Associates Ph: (800) 762-8623.
Different Types of Mesothelioma
Mesothelioma is a type of cancer that affects the mesothelium, which is the thin layer of tissue that protects your internal organs. Victims of this deadly disease usually have contracted it by inhaling asbestos particles at some point in their lives. These particles get caught inside the mesothelium and can form cancerous tumors many years later.
The American Cancer Society lists four of the most common types of the disease:
- Pleural mesothelioma makes up about 75 percent of all mesothelioma cases and is known to begin forming in the chest and lung areas.
- Peritoneal mesothelioma makes up the second most mesothelioma cases and commonly begins in the abdomen.
- Testicular mesothelioma is a rare form of mesothelioma that begins in the layer covering the testicles.
- Pericardial mesothelioma is another very rare form of mesothelioma that affects the lining around the heart.
Malignant mesothelioma is also categorized by the cells that are affected:
- Epithelioid mesothelioma makes up to more than 50 percent of all mesothelioma cases. This type of malignant mesothelioma affects the epithelioid cells; however, this form of the disease is known to be the most responsive to medical treatment.
- Sarcomatoid mesothelioma accounts for up to 10 to 20 percent of all mesothelioma cases. This type affects the sarcomatoid cells, which are known to be less responsive to medical treatment.
- Biphasic mesothelioma occurs when both the epithelioid and the sarcomatoid cells are affected.
If you have been diagnosed with any of the above-mentioned forms of mesothelioma, you could be eligible for financial compensation. Contact a Traverse City mesothelioma lawyer at Jay Trucks and Associates today for a free review of your claim.
What are Some Symptoms of Mesothelioma?
Some mesothelioma victims do not feel symptoms for decades after their exposure to asbestos. Some of the more common symptoms are:
- Pain in the chest or ribs
- Respiratory issues
- Difficulty breathing
- Fever not related to sickness
- Night sweats
- Chronic, painful cough
- Stomach pain or swelling
- Obstructed bowels
- Sudden, unexplained weight loss
- Muscle fatigue
- Vertigo or other balance issues
- Lumps of tissue underneath the skin around the chest area
- Pleural effusion (fluid builds up around the lungs)
If you are feeling any of the symptoms above, we recommend getting examined by a health care professional. If you receive a mesothelioma diagnosis, consider contacting a Traverse City mesothelioma attorney. You could be compensated for medical expenses and other damages related to your illness.
Dial (800) 762-8623 today to schedule your free case consultation.
Occupations at Risk for Mesothelioma
If you were employed in one of the below occupations, you are considered to have been at high risk for asbestos exposure during your time of employment:
- Construction workers
- Industrial workers
- Factory workers
- Asbestos mining
- Steel mill workers
- Shipyard workers
- Power plant workers
- Boiler workers
- Auto mechanics
- Railroad workers
- Metal workers
- Chemical plant workers
- HVAC technicians
- Oil refinery workers
- Cement workers
If you or a loved one worked in any of the above occupations, you may have been exposed to asbestos at some point during your employment. If you receive a mesothelioma diagnosis from your doctor or other health care professional, you may be eligible for financial assistance to cover medical bills and other related expenses.
Reach Out to a Traverse City Mesothelioma Attorney Today
Dealing with a mesothelioma diagnosis can be an overwhelming experience for victims and their families. The licensed attorneys at Jay Trucks and Associates are prepared to help you through the recovery process.
Our firm has been holding negligent parties liable for damages for over 30 years in the state of Michigan. You can contact our team of legal professionals anytime, 24/7 to set up a free review of your mesothelioma claim. We work on contingency, which means you pay us nothing unless we successfully recover compensation on your behalf. You will not be required to have us represent you, even after your free claim review, so there is no risk to you.
Jay Trucks & Associates - No Upfront Fees.