Call Now!
(800) 762-8623

Flint Construction Accident Attorneys

Construction is an industry with many workplace dangers. Considering the heavy machinery, demolition, lifting, and other hazardous conditions present at a construction site, the likelihood of a worker becoming injured is high. These injuries are often serious and debilitating and require extensive medical treatment.

… Everyone was always very kind and acted in a timely fashion with all duties. Thank you…
– M. Miller

At Jay Trucks & Associates, our Flint construction accident attorneys know the challenges injured workers and their families face after these accidents. We have represented many Michigan residents over the years and recovered more than $500 million in compensation, including a $225,000 recovery for a construction worker that sustained a head injury and a $175,000 recovery for a construction worker that suffered a lower back injury.

Our initial consultation is free of charge to review your claim and discuss your legal options. If we represent you, we charge no upfront fees. We only get paid for our services if we help you obtain a recovery.

Contact our office at (800) 762-8623.

How Do I Know If I Can Take Legal Action?

If you believe the injuries you sustained in a construction accident could have been prevented, you may be able to take legal action. Our legal team needs to examine your situation to determine if you have a case. There are multiple factors that need to be accounted for, such as:

  • The type of accident that happened
  • How the construction accident occurred
  • The exact location of your injury
  • Whether it was your usual work location
  • Working conditions on the construction site
  • Equipment or machinery used when injured
  • The nature and extent of your injuries
  • Time hospitalized and obtaining treatment

We are well-versed in these cases and how to conduct detailed investigations to help build a strong case.

Jay Trucks & Associates.
Free Consultation. Ph: (800) 762-8623.

Who Can Be Liable in a Construction Accident?

Hazardous conditions, defective equipment, negligent coworkers, and other factors can result in serious injuries and fatalities on a construction site. That is why it may be difficult to determine who could be held liable for your injuries. Potential liable parties could include:

  • Construction site owners
  • General contractors
  • Prime contractors
  • Architects
  • Engineers
  • Manufacturers of equipment or machinery

More than one party could be responsible for the same accident because of negligent actions, such as:

  • Failure to rectify or warn others about a known hazard on the site
  • Failure to hire competent workers or properly train them
  • Failure to comply with federal and state safety regulations
  • Failure to maintain or repair machinery when needed
  • Failure to provide personal protective equipment, such as hard hats and safety harnesses
  • Failure to address worker concerns about safety or health

A Flint construction accident lawyer from our firm is prepared to review the cause of the accident, who else is involved, and who was directly responsible for ensuring the safety of those on the site.

How Much is My Case Worth?

The value of a construction accident case will depend on the injuries you suffered, the medical treatments and surgeries you have undergone and will need to undergo in the future, and other factors.

We welcome the opportunity to assess the potential value of your case. There are several legal avenues for seeking compensation, including filing a:

  • Workers’ compensation claim – The majority of Michigan employers must carry workers’ compensation insurance. Workers’ compensation pays for reasonable and necessary medical expenses and a portion of lost wages for workers who sustain a partial or total disability. You and your lawyer will not be required to prove negligence in these claims, only that you suffered harm in a work-related accident.
  • Personal injury claim –Although you cannot sue an employer who carries workers’ compensation insurance, you may be able to take legal action against a third party that injured you. Third parties could include an equipment manufacturer or the driver of a motor vehicle passing by the site. You and your lawyer will need to prove your injuries and damages resulted from negligence.
  • Wrongful death claim – If a loved one is fatally injured on a construction site the personal representative of your loved one’s estate has the right to file a wrongful death claim on his or her behalf. These claims are for medical expenses, funeral and burial costs, pain and suffering, lost financial support from the deceased, and lost companionship.

Need legal help? Ph: (800) 762-8623.

Who Regulates Construction Site Safety?

Both the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA) and the Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration (MIOSHA) regulate the construction site industry.

The OSHA operates under the U.S. Department of Labor to set and enforce workplace safety and health standards. Employees have certain rights protected under federal law. These include the right to:

  • Operate on equipment and machinery that is safe to use
  • Be given adequate safety equipment, such as harnesses and gloves
  • Protection against chemical hazards and toxic substances
  • Report a work-related injury or illness without fear of retaliation
  • Request copies of medical records and results from tests to find hazards

MIOSHA operates under the Department of Labor and Economic Opportunity and is responsible for enforcing safe and healthy working conditions within the state. This includes fall prevention initiatives.

Our Flint construction accident attorneys are ready to determine if any of these regulations apply to your situation.

Reporting an Injury at Work

If you have been injured on a construction site, it is important to notify your employer as soon as possible. Michigan law requires employees to report a work-related injury or illness to their employer within 90 days from the date of the accident. Failure to report within this deadline may result in your workers’ compensation claim being denied.

$180,000 Recovery – Work Injury
Obtained by our law firm for a factory worker that sustained a hand injury.

For injuries lasting more than one week, your employer must file an Employer’s Basic Report of Injury form with the Bureau of Workers’ Disability Compensation. Your claim will then be reviewed and investigated to either approve or deny you benefits.

Your workers’ compensation claim must be filed within two years of the injury. This applies whether you notify your employer and he or she files the accident report, or you decide to file a claim directly with the bureau.

Should your claim be denied, our lawyers are prepared to help you appeal to pursue benefits. We know how to gather the evidence necessary to build a strong case and represent your rights and best interests.

Our attorneys can also discuss filing a lawsuit against a third-party for additional compensation, if we determine a third-party may hold liability for your accident.

Type of Injuries That May Qualify for Compensation

Construction site injuries that may qualify for compensation may include:

  • Head trauma, from mild concussions to traumatic brain injuries
  • Injuries to the spinal cord and nerve endings resulting in paralysis
  • Repetitive stress injuries from lifting or other repetitive motions
  • Neck and back injuries resulting in temporary or permanent disability
  • Hearing or vision loss due to work-related tasks
  • Crush injuries when caught in-between heavy machinery
  • Amputations involving a finger, hand, arm, toe, foot or leg
  • Fractures and broken bones
  • Burns and electrical injuries

Am I Allowed to Use My Own Doctor for Treatment?

This answer will depend on the terms of your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance. If your employer has private insurance, you may be able to seek treatment for an injury from your own doctor. If not, your employer may require you to be examined by its designated doctor for the first 28 days of treatment.

Once 28 days have passed, you have the right to choose your own doctor. You must give your employer the name of your doctor. Failure to provide notice of your selected doctor could relieve your employer from the requirement to continue paying any reasonable and necessary medical bills.

Accidents That Commonly Occur on Construction Sites

There are multiple ways a worker can suffer an injury while on the job. Some accidents that commonly occur on construction sites include:

  • Falls from high heights
  • Falling objects or debris
  • Slip and fall accidents
  • Machinery accidents
  • Electrocutions
  • Overexertion
  • Fires and explosions
  • Caught in-between accidents
  • Trench collapses
  • Chemical exposure
  • Scaffolding accidents

Speak with a Flint Construction Accident Lawyer

If you or someone you love has been injured in a construction accident, you need an experienced lawyer by your side who understands how to handle these types of cases.

Having recovered over $500,000,000 in compensation on behalf of our clients and representing many injury victims in Genesee County, Jay Trucks & Associates has decades of experience fighting for just compensation.

Reach out to us over the phone or online 24/7 to request a free consultation. There is no risk in calling us and no obligation to take legal action. You pay us nothing up front unless we help you obtain compensation.

No Upfront Fees. Ph: (800) 762-8623.