Mesothelioma is a type of lung cancer that can take several decades to develop inside the body. As there is no cure, when patients receive a diagnosis, they may have just one year to live.
I was very happy with how my case was handled. There was great communication. Phone calls and e-mails were all returned fast….
– K. Fullterton
If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with this deadly form of cancer, contacting a Flint mesothelioma attorney from Jay Trucks & Associates may be an important step as you consider possible legal options.
The attorneys at Jay Trucks and Associates have over 150 years of combined legal experience and we have recovered over $500,000,000 on behalf of our clients.
Contact our firm today to schedule a free review of your claim. There are no upfront fees and you will not be billed for any legal fees unless we successfully recover compensation on your behalf. Call (800) 762-8623 to set up your initial consultation with an experienced attorney from Jay Trucks and Associates.
No Obligation. No Upfront Fees.
How Do I Know if I May be Eligible for Compensation?
Asbestos was used in many industries for decades in so many different products. That is part of the reason why many people with mesothelioma have grounds to file a claim to recover compensation from a former employer or other party that exposed people to asbestos. However, each situation is unique, and it is important to review yours with an experienced lawyer to determine if there is a valid case.
Some of the issues we may consider include, but are certainly not limited to, the following:
- Documentation of your work history
- Other mesothelioma claims against your previous employers, as these claims may have revealed evidence of negligence by employers
- Any evidence you may be able to provide about asbestos-containing materials you may have been in contact with at some point in the past
Our qualified team of legal professionals is ready to answer your questions and determine if you may have a case.
How Much Compensation Can I Receive?
The value of each case is unique and depends on many factors, such as the types of treatment you receive and other out-of-pocket expenses.
For example, you may be able to obtain compensation for the cost of:
- Medical testing
- Radiation and chemotherapy treatments
- Medical equipment needed
- Loss of income
- Loss of future wages
- Palliative care to relieve suffering and improve quality of life
Non-economic damages may also be available, and they include things like:
- Physical pain
- Loss of companionship
- Emotional trauma including, anxiety, depression and stress
If you want to learn more about possible compensation for your mesothelioma claim, call Jay Trucks & Associates today at (800) 762-8623 to schedule your free consultation.
Who Could Be Held Liable?
This is an important question because the answer determines who you file a claim against. Liable parties may include employers and others, such as:
- Property owners – Tenants or workers could be exposed to asbestos if the owner did not test for asbestos and remove any that was discovered. Older buildings have a much higher risk of having asbestos.
- Product manufacturers – Asbestos was used in many products for many years, including consumer products and materials workers used, to do their jobs.
- Mining companies –These companies could be liable if they had workers digging for minerals and this caused asbestos fibers to be released into the air. Workers and nearby residents could have been exposed because of mining activities.
Is There a Time Limit for Filing a Claim?
According to the Michigan statute of limitations, personal injury victims have three years from the date they were diagnosed to file a personal injury claim. If you fail to submit your claim before three years pass, your claim may be dismissed from court.
However, sometimes there are exceptions, so it is important to talk to a qualified attorney to determine the deadline for your claim.
What is Mesothelioma?
Mesothelioma is a form of cancer that develops in the mesothelium, the thin layer of tissue protecting internal organs.
Most mesothelioma victims contract this disease by being exposed to asbestos fibers at some point in their life. These fibers may be inhaled and become trapped inside the mesothelium, developing into cancerous tumors many years later.
Different Forms of Mesothelioma
According to the American Cancer Society, there are several types of mesothelioma that can affect different parts of the body, such as:
- Pleural mesothelioma – This type of mesothelioma starts in the chest and lungs. About 75 percent of mesotheliomas that are diagnosed are pleural mesotheliomas.
- Peritoneal mesothelioma – This is the second most common form of mesothelioma and usually starts in the abdomen.
- Pericardial mesothelioma – This is a form of mesothelioma that forms in the lining around the heart, but it is very rare.
- Testicular mesothelioma – Another rare form of mesothelioma, this starts in the covering layer of the testicles.
Malignant mesothelioma is also grouped according to the type of cells affected:
- Epithelioid mesothelioma – This type effects the epithelioid cells and makes up more than half of all mesothelioma cases. These cases are the most responsive to medical treatment.
- Sarcomatoid mesothelioma – This type has a negative effect on the sarcamatoid cells and is less responsive to medical treatment. It makes up about 10 to 20 percent of all mesothelioma cases.
- Biphasic mesothelioma – When a diagnosis shows both the epithelioid and the sarcomatoid cells are being attacked, it is classified as a mixed or biphasic mesothelioma.
We recommend contacting a Flint mesothelioma lawyer at (800) 762-8623.
Common Symptoms of Mesothelioma
It can take 20 to 50 years after initial exposure for mesothelioma symptoms to appear, and they may include:
- Shortness of breath
- Respiratory issues
- Chronic, painful cough
- Fever not related to sickness
- Unexplained onset of muscle weakness
- Vertigo or other balance issues
- Pain in the chest or ribs
- Abdominal pain or swelling
- Sudden, unexplained weight loss
- Obstructed bowels
- Night sweats
- Lumps of tissue underneath the skin on the chest
- Pleural effusion (when fluid builds up around the lungs)
If you or a loved one has been suffering from one or more of the above-mentioned symptoms, you should seek medical treatment immediately. If doctors can diagnose this disease in the early stages, you might have a more favorable prognosis.
What is the Difference Between Mesothelioma and Lung Cancer?
It is common for people to confuse lung cancer and mesothelioma or think mesothelioma is just another type of lung cancer. However, mesothelioma is very different from lung cancer. With lung cancer, tumors develop in the lungs. Mesothelioma develops in the lining around the lungs.
Mesothelioma is also very difficult to treat because of the lack of separation between healthy and unhealthy cells. Unfortunately, treatments like chemotherapy and radiation are often more effective when tumors can be isolated.
Industries That May Have High Risk for Exposure to Asbestos
Some industries put workers at higher risk of being exposed to asbestos:
- Mineral excavation (mining)
- Petroleum refining
- Paper and pulp manufacturing
- Electronics manufacturing
- Metal manufacturing
- Glass manufacturing
- Auto repair
- U.S. Navy
Some of the jobs associated with these industries may include:
- Insulation workers
- Fire fighters
- Pipe layers
- Chemical plant employees
- Oil workers
- Cement workers
- Drywall workers
- Iron workers
- Marine oilers
- Motor vehicle mechanics
- Mechanical engineer
- Aircraft mechanics
People who worked in these industries and suffer possible symptoms of mesothelioma should be examined by a qualified doctor as soon as possible. Make sure to inform the doctor about the high-risk industry you worked in.
The dedicated legal team at Jay Trucks & Associates is prepared to take your call anytime 24/7. Call us at (800) 762-8623.
Companies in Michigan That May Have Exposed Workers to Asbestos
Unfortunately, Michigan has a high rate of asbestos-related deaths, partly because of the state’s large automotive manufacturing industry, particularly in the 20th century. There are many companies and worksites in the state that have been linked to asbestos exposure, including:
- Dow Chemical Company
- General Mills
- Detroit Edison
- Northern Michigan Electric Cooperative
- Central Michigan Light and Power Company
- Cook Nuclear Power Plant
- Bridgeman Nuclear Plant
- Big Rock Point Nuclear Power Plant
- Marathon Oil
- Ralston Purina
- Defoe Shipyard
- Jesiek Brothers Shipyard
- National Steel
- Michigan Steel Foundry
- Great Lakes Steel Mill
- Detroit Grey Iron Foundry
Asbestos was also discovered at factories operated by popular automakers, including:
- General Motors
- Continental Motor Company
- Hudson Motor Car Corporation
If you or a loved one worked at any of these companies or worksites, watch for any signs of mesothelioma. You or your loved one may be at high risk for developing this disease.
Trusts Created for Mesothelioma Victims
Sometimes when a company goes bankrupt due to multiple lawsuits against them, they may be forced to set up a trust fund for victims of mesothelioma. If you worked for any of these companies, you may be eligible to file a claim with the trust fund for compensation.
Numerous companies have set up trusts, including large companies like General Motors, Owens Corning and Kaiser Aluminum Corp.
When you file a claim against one of these trusts, you must prove your illness was caused by exposure to asbestos. You will likely need documentation of your work history and diagnosis. The trustees will review your claim and decide how much compensation they may pay out. If they make an offer, your attorney can negotiate to try to recover maximum compensation.
Our Flint mesothelioma attorneys are ready to discuss your situation in a free consultation. (800) 762-8623
Is There a Cure for Mesothelioma?
There is no cure for mesothelioma. As with most cancer types, the earlier it is detected, the better your prognosis may be. The longer you wait to receive treatment, the worse the prognosis could be, especially because this disease is known to spread rapidly throughout the body.
Although everyone’s body may react differently, many people who have peritoneal mesothelioma live longer than those with pleural mesothelioma.
Get in Touch with a Flint Mesothelioma Lawyer Today
It is important that you speak to a licensed lawyer after learning your diagnosis to determine if you may have a viable claim. If you do, contacting us quickly gives us more time to investigate and build a robust case.
Our lawyers are prepared to handle the entire legal process on your behalf, so you can focus on your treatment and recovery from treatment, which can cause debilitating side effects. We understand the difficulties families face when medical bills accumulate, and victims lose income from missing work. For these reasons, we are focused on seeking the maximum compensation available for your mesothelioma claim.
At Jay Trucks & Associates we offer a free case review and you will not have to pay us unless we win your case. Your case review is completely confidential and there is no obligation to have us represent you.
Call today. (800) 762-8623