Call Now!
(800) 762-8623

Automobile Accident Frequently Asked Questions

What do I do if I’ve been in an automobile accident?

First of all, call the police right away. This will ensure that medical personnel are on their way to examine everyone involved in the accident. Here are some additional recommendations to help the process go as smoothly as possible, given the circumstances.

At the scene of the accident:

  • Get information on the other driver such as name, phone number, and address. If the driver appears under the influence, tell the police officer at the scene.
  • If there are witnesses, you should get their names, numbers, and addresses, also.
  • Get a copy of the police report.
  • Notify your insurance company of the accident
  • Go see your doctor as all injuries may not be apparent right away
  • Do not speak to the other insurance company or accept a settlement
  • Take pictures of the accident scene if possible

Should I contact my own insurance company even if I wasn’t at fault in the car accident?

Absolutely. There is no guarantee that the information the other driver gave you is accurate. By notifying your own insurance company, they can perhaps make the necessary repairs to your vehicle and then pursue legal action against the other driver on your behalf. Additionally, if you have medical payments or car rental coverage, these can be activated immediately.

What happens if I was at fault in the auto accident and I don’t have any insurance?

Michigan requires that all licensed drivers have automobile insurance. However, if your policy is no longer in effect, you may be held personally liable for all damages resulting from the accident, including medical expenses incurred by all injured parties. This could lead to financial ruin so you’re better off to pay for at least the basic coverage required by law.