Common Causes of Moped Accidents
Two students in Michigan were recently involved in an accident involving a motor vehicle and moped. The accident occurred while the two moped riders were stopped at an intersection. A vehicle collided with the students, who were riding mopeds, causing both students to be sent to the hospital. One of the women received a serious head injury and the other was treated for non life-threatening injuries.
Contributing Factors in Moped Accidents
There are some factors that make moped accidents more common, which include the following elements:
- Misjudged Speeds: Motor vehicle drivers who are unable to correctly gauge the speed of a moped are at risk of stopping in front of the vehicle or changing lanes into the vehicle’s path, which can result in serious accidents.
- Quicker Stopping Time: Mopeds require less time to stop, which greatly increases the chances of motor vehicles being involved in rear end collisions with them.
- Reduced Visibility: Mopeds are frequently struck by motor vehicle operators who fail to see the moped driver either turning in front of them or pulling onto another street.
Causes of Moped Accidents
Some of the common causes of moped accidents include the following:
- Defects in the road including potholes and uneven road surfaces.
- Distracted motor vehicle operators.
- Excessive speed.
- Failure to notice a moped.
- Intoxicated drivers.
- Misjudgments that cause a driver to suddenly turn in front of a moped.
- Rear ending a moped.
Steps to Avoid Moped Accidents
Moped riders should take particular caution when riding in traffic. Some of the critical safety steps that should be taken include the following:
- Avoid wearing a t-shirt or shorts because this can result in substantial cuts and other types of injuries.
- Do not share lanes or swerve in traffic because this greatly increases the chances of being involved in a collision with a motor vehicle.
- Never speed or combine alcohol and drugs while operating a moped. Also refrain from any other type of reckless behavior.
- Refrain from riding in the rain, snow, or other conditions that are more likely to result in accidents. It is also important to avoid riding at night unless traveling in brightly lit areas.
- Wear a helmet and colorful clothing while riding a moped so that you can be spotted by other drivers.
No matter what steps a person takes, moped accidents are sometimes impossible to prevent. If you are involved in a moped accident, refrain from talking to anyone other than law enforcement about how the accident occurred and make sure to receive prompt medical attention. It is also important to avoid providing statements about how the accident occurred until you speak to legal counsel.
Obtain the Assistance of a Moped Accident Attorney
Moped accidents frequently result in serious injuries and even fatalities. If you or a loved one is involved in a moped accident, speak with a knowledgeable attorney who can help fight for the compensation that you deserve. Contact the legal counsel at Jay Trucks PLC today.