Each year, a large number of teenage drivers are involved in serious accidents that leave people seriously injured and even killed. Statistics show that car accidents are the leading cause of death among teenagers in the United States.
Understanding Why Teenage Drivers are at Risk
The Michigan Department for Community Health reports that teenage drivers are four times more likely than adult drivers to be involved in motor vehicle accidents. There are various reasons why this group is at particular risk of being seriously injured in car accidents, such as:
- Teenage drivers are less likely to use their seat belts, which leads to much more serious accidents.
- Teenage drivers are more likely than older drivers to speed and end up in accidents with other vehicles.
- There is a much greater risk that teenage drivers will end up in accidents due to high blood alcohol content levels.
Steps That Teenage Drivers can Take to Prevent Accidents
There are some important steps that a person can take to avoid being involved in a serious accident. Some of these steps include the following:
- Make sure to obey the speed limit, particularly when driving on roads with a lot of traffic or when traveling on roads that are unfamiliar.
- Parents can help teenage drivers create their own driving regulations. This way, a parent can make sure that a teenage driver stays within their abilities in operating a vehicle to decrease the chances of an accident.
- Teenage drivers can benefit from enrolling in driver education classes. These classes provide teenage drivers the opportunity to focus on areas of their driving that they feel are weak and need improvement.
- Teenage drivers should avoid texting while driving as well as talking on the phone and other distractions that can take their attention off of the road.
- Turn on your headlights to make sure that you have an adequate amount of visibility while driving at night.
- Select a safe car that has the latest safety equipment including anti-lock brakes and electronic stability control because it will be much safer than others in the event that a teenage driver ends up in an accident.
Talk to an Accident Attorney Today
Teenage drivers often lack adequate experience and knowledge of how to safely drive a vehicle. As a result, an unfortunate number of teenage drivers are involved in car accidents each year in Michigan. If you have been impacted in an accident involving a young driver, it is important to obtain the assistance of a seasoned attorney who understands how to help you navigate the various obstacles that are likely to arise in your case. Contact a skilled attorney at Jay Trucks PLC today for assistance with your case.