Detroit Boat Accident Lawyers
Our Detroit Boat Accident Lawyers Are Ready To Fight For You
When boating accidents occur, and another party is responsible, victims often have a strong legal claim for representation. If successful, these lawsuits can compensation boating accident victims for various damages including medical bills, lost wages, and emotional suffering. These cases are particularly challenging, however, which is why boating accident victims should not hesitate to obtain the assistance of an accident attorney who will remain committed to reaching the best possible results like the Detroit boat accident lawyers at Jay Trucks & Associates.
Common Examples of Michigan Boating Accidents
Some of the most common examples of boating accidents in Detroit include the following:
- Adverse weather. It is critical that boaters pay attention to the forecast as well as create a float plan to anticipate poor weather conditions.
- Careless or reckless boat passengers. A boat operator is responsible for making sure that all passengers are seated while the boat is moving. When boat passengers obstruct the boat operator’s line of view, catastrophic accidents can occur.
- Excessive speeding. A large number of accidents because boat operators lose control of the vehicle while speeding.
- Inexperienced boat operators. Many times, boat operators do not have the skill or experience necessary to safely operate a boat which can result in accidents. The United States Coast Guard reports that in 2016, 480 accidents resulting in 62 deaths occurred due to boating accidents involving inexperienced operators.
- Operating a boat while using alcohol or drugs. All boat operators must obey the same laws as motor vehicle operators, which means that operating a vessel while under the influence of alcohol or drugs is prohibited. Boat operators who fail to obey this law can end up causing accidents that endanger the operator’s life as well as the lives of others. In 2015, Michigan increased its laws against boating while under the influence by lowering the state’s blood-alcohol level for boat operators from .10 to .08.
- Reckless operation of a boat. Boat captains sometimes operate their boats carelessly or negligently, which can lead to severe boating accidents. Some types of behavior that constitute reckless boat operation include allowing boat passenger to sit in inappropriate places on a boat while moving, failing to observe nearby watercraft, inattentively operating a boat, jumping a wake too close to another boat, and violating low wake rules.
Advice to Avoiding Boat Accidents
The best way to avoid boating accidents is to understand some of the best safety tips while traveling on a boat, which include the following:
- Examine your boat from bow to stem before operation.
- Keep a fire extinguisher on your boat in case a fire breaks out.
- Make sure that every passenger that is traveling on the boat has a flotation device.
- Stay alert to the forecast, which involves remaining observant to adverse weather conditions.
- Take a course on boating safety.
- While many people decide to combine boating with alcohol, this type of behavior can result in serious accidents as well as citations.
Our legal understands that even if all of these safety precautions are followed, accidents can still occur. As a result, if you or a loved one is injured in a boating accident that happened in Detroit or any other area in Michigan, you should contact an experienced lawyer.
Speak with Our Detroit Boat Accident Lawyers Today
Our Detroit boat accident lawyers have experience representing people who have been harmed in a variety of ways including boat accidents. Even though boating accidents can occur in many ways and are particularly complicated, the injury lawyers at Jay Trucks & Associates know how to create a strong legal strategy to help accident victims obtain the compensation they deserve. Contact our award winning law office today to schedule an initial free case evaluation. With over 150 years of combined experience, our lawyers have recovered millions for our clients and know how to fight the insurance companies to get the money you deserve. Ready to win your case? Contact our law firm today.