Call Now!
(800) 762-8623

Am I Eligible for No-Fault Benefits if I Have an Accident Out-of-State?

road signs headed out of michiganWhen Michigan residents are legally insured by the state and involved in a car accident, they are eligible to receive benefits that will cover medical costs, lost wages and more. These benefits are provided to you, regardless of who caused the crash. Even if your accident occurs in another state, you are still likely to be covered by your Michigan no-fault benefits insurance.

However, there are specific requirements that must be met to make sure that you will qualify for coverage when traveling out of state. Below, our Grand Rapids car accident attorneys at Jay Trucks and Associates discuss a few of the important details you should know about, especially changes resulting from Michigan’s new auto reform insurance laws.

Who is Covered?

Michigan residents are covered by their no-fault insurance policy in most situations, even if they are riding in someone else’s car. However, they must meet certain requirements:

Geological Requirements:

The accident must have occurred anywhere in the United States, a U.S. territory or Canada.

Residential Requirements:

The individual must be a Michigan resident who either:

  • Has purchased his or her own no-fault Michigan auto insurance policy
  • Is married to a Michigan resident who has a Michigan car insurance policy
  • Lives with a relative who is both a Michigan resident and carries the state’s no-fault car insurance policy

Others who may be covered include passengers riding in your car who do not have insurance, or a motorcyclist who gets injured in an accident involving your car. These and others, as defined by your policy, may be covered up to the limits of the personal injury protection (PIP) benefits you purchased.

While you do not need to be riding in your car at the time of the accident, you must meet one of these requirements to be eligible for benefits. If you do not meet this criteria for benefits and you are involved in an out-of-state car accident, then you will likely not be able to make a no-fault claim.

What Types of Benefits Are Provided?

Michigan’s no-fault benefits that may be provided to you if you injured in an out-of-state accident include:

  • Accident-related medical expenses
  • Lost wages if you were unable to work
  • Attendant care services
  • Modifications to your home
  • Survivor loss benefits
  • And more

Are You Still Covered if Driving a Rental Car?

If you have a car crash while driving out of state in a rental car, you and your passengers may still be eligible for medical benefits under your Michigan no-fault car insurance policy. However, your Michigan auto insurance policy will not cover additional damages, such as vandalism, theft or other property damage obtained in an accident. For those types of damages, you may wish to consider purchasing supplemental coverage from the rental insurance agency.

What About Others Who Use Your Vehicle?

A change went into effect on June 11, 2019 regarding Michigan’s coverage for “resident relatives” of your household. This revision specifically impacts certain individuals who may no longer be covered under your Michigan car insurance policy, including:

  • Family members who are using a vehicle that is titled and registered in your name but who have currently set up residency in another state – the one exception may be if your child is away at school
  • An individual who lives with you but is not your spouse or otherwise related to you – even if you have listed them as a driver on your policy

For these individuals using your car, it is important that you disclose their relationship to you, as well as their living arrangements, when purchasing your insurance policy. Being up front with this information helps to ensure you have purchased the appropriate type of coverage if they have an accident while driving your car. Not being open with your insurance agent could be putting your own financial assets at risk, as you could be personally responsible for any damages they may cause while driving your car.

There are other policies, such as a Named Non-Owner insurance policy, that may provide protection for others driving your car. Contact your insurance agent for more information on your insurance coverage options. Typically, you will have to purchase a separate policy for each driver.

Schedule Your Free Consultation with Jay Trucks and Associates Today

Although your Michigan no-fault auto insurance policy will likely cover you if you travel out-of-state, it is always a good idea to confirm what your specific policy will cover. We strongly recommend that you always review the details of what is and is not covered with your insurance agency, especially when you are setting off on an out-of-state road trip.

If you need legal help after suffering injuries in a car crash, our experienced attorneys are ready to discuss your situation with you. There is no risk or obligation when you meet with one of our lawyers for a free initial consultation. If you work with our firm, there are zero upfront costs to get started and no fees to pay while we represent you. We do not collect our costs until the end of your claim, and only if we obtain compensation on your behalf.

Need Legal Help? Call Jay Trucks & Associates Today: (800) 762-8623