Ann Arbor Boat Accident Lawyers
Choosing The Right Ann Arbor Boat Accident Lawyers After A Boating Accident
Boating is one of the most popular forms of recreational activity in not just Ann Arbor, but all of Michigan. Unfortunately, statistics also reveal that numerous people in Michigan are injured each year while boating. People who are injured in boating accidents can find themselves facing severe injuries, extensive property damage, and medical bills.
If your boating accident was caused due to the carelessness or recklessness of another person, you should not hesitate to contact an experienced accident attorney. At Jay Trucks & Associates, we have helped a large number of boating accident victims. We know what it takes to create a legal strategy in even the most difficult cases. We are also compassionate about the numerous complications faced by people who are harmed in boating accidents and understand just how challenging these situations can be.
Common Ways In Which Boating Accidents Occur
There are a variety of ways in which Ann Arbor boating accidents can occur, but some of the most typical causes include the following:
- Adverse weather conditions. Lightning and thunderstorms, as well as other adverse weather conditions can cause very serious accidents, which is why boaters should avoid operating any vessel in poor weather conditions.
- Alcohol and drugs. Many people associate boats with alcohol. While it might be permissible for passengers to engage in a drink or tow, boat operators should always refrain from using alcohol. To reduce the risk of these accidents, Michigan legislature passed new laws in 2015 that address operating a boat while intoxicated.
- Careless boat passengers. Boat passengers must be careful to obey all safety instructions which include avoiding the obstruction of the boat operator’s view, which can lead to serious accidents.
- Excessive speeding. It is critical that boat operators avoid traveling at excessive speeds because this can result in a loss of a vehicle which can lead to deadly accidents that jeopardize the life of the driver and his passengers. The United States Coast Guard reports that in 2016, 360 accidents occurred due to excessive speed which resulted in 39 deaths and 275 injuries.
- Inexperienced boat operators. Boat operators must have the experience to safely operate their vessel. Failure to safely control a boat can result in a person’s life becoming endangered. This risk is why boat operators should attend safety classes.
- Reckless boating. A boat operator can operate a boat reckless by failing to notice nearby water vessels, driving a boat in a dangerous manner, or failing to obey posted signs. This type of boating leads to a large number of serious accidents.
Tips on Reducing the Risk of a Boating Accident
Fortunately, some boating accidents are entirely avoidable. Some advice to take to avoid being involved in an Ann Arbor boating accident include:
- Inspecting your boat carefully before each usage.
- Making sure that the boat has one flotation device for each passenger.
- Never boating in bad weather.
- Stalking your boat with a fire extinguisher and first aid kit.
- Taking a boating safety course.
- Teaching passengers about what not to do.
- Staying away from operating a boat while under the influence.
Despite these safety steps, boat accidents can still happen. One of the best ways to respond if you end up in a boat accident is to quickly obtain the assistance of a skilled injury lawyer.
Speak with Experienced Ann Arbor Boat Accident Lawyers
At Jay Trucks & Associates we refer to ourselves as Michigan’s injury lawyers because our award-winning firm has helped a large number of accident victims including those who injured while boating. If you or a loved one was involved in a boating accident and another party is responsible, contact our law office today for assistance in making sure that you obtain the compensation that you deserve. With over 150 years of combined legal experience, our lawyers know how to fight the insurance companies to get you the compensation you deserve after an accident. Call our Michigan injury lawyers today for a free case evaluation.